It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived. Helen Walton

Thursday, June 18, 2020

Trying to be Joan Mitchell



Recently I finished reading a biography of Joan Mitchell, one of the famous female artists in New York City in the 1940's and 50's.  Wow!  What a life she led.  It is a wonder she had time to paint but then she did a lot of her painting after midnight in a state of mild intoxication.  Her work fascinates me so I decided to give it a go.  First of all, it was in the morning and second of all, I was sober so why would i expect success?  I enjoyed doing it but discovered later that I tend to do horizontal marks and she is more inclined to do vertical and horizontal marks.  My scribbles don't resemble her scribbles is what I am trying to say.  Whatever, this is my attempt

I call this Sunbathed Beach.

Cabin fever is giving me fits lately.  I keep thinking of places I would like to go and then I remember that it is best to stay home.  Florida is having big increases in Covid 19 cases and I do NOT want to have to deal with that.  My daughter bought me a shield and I have worn it when I go out.  I like it much better than a mask as I have asthma and find a mask very confining.  The shield is much easier to breath for me.  I have listened to family, children, grandchildren and great grandchild and how they are coping with the pandemic lifestyle.  It inspired this painting


This is called Navigating 2020
If you look closely, you will find words that relate to this year in the fog.
Hopefully my friends at Paint Party Friday are happy and healthy!

Blooming on the lanai this week




14 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your Mitchell painting is great, but I like the second one even better. I don't drink either, perhaps I need to start to get back into painting! Your orchids look good, I'm still waiting for mine to bloom. This pandemic has got at us faced with many limits, and life is not easy. I still find it scary traveling by tram or bus, but I don't have e choice, so need to do it. Hve a good week, stay well and safe, hugs, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

You don't have to drink there and you did something. What abstract art on the subject but great as a background from the second picture. I used to paint a lot at night until well into the early hours today, I don't do it so blatantly anymore.It has changed a lot for me too, I wasn't even in a big city because of Corona or went out to eat but I don't lack that much either. I am not alone and my life partner is now retired.We ride a lot of bikes and take lots of pictures of nature and animals.
Your orchids are so pretty!
I wish you a nice weekend and take care of yourself,hugs, Elke

Christine said...

Lovely Mitchell inspired art and beautiful flowers.

Barbara said...

Being lost in a fog may describe how a lot of us are feeling. your depiction is perfect. It shows confusion as well as indecision about how to navigate these days. I, as well, like that painting over the first one. But something tells me I may be missing the freedom of having had a glass of wine or two before sitting down at my easel.😂

kathyinozarks said...

Great paintings

Linda Kunsman said...

Love your Joan Mitchell experimenting. I saw a special exhibit with some of her works and it was amazing to see up close! Don't know much about her though- may need to see if the library has something- whenever it opens again...
beautiful art representing the times and your family during Covid. Glad you're keeping safe. It is disconcerting that some places are showing another increase since relaxing the restrictions a bit. Keep well, and happy PPF!

Clare Lloyd said...

Great art and love the flowers

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

My favourite is the second one. Lovely flowers.

DVArtist said...

Wow I think you did a fantastic job with your Joan Mitchell. Love the flowers too. I am not having trouble staying home. That is new for me. I was very active in my town. However, a lot of people here have never followed the rules and so staying home if fine with me. I have so much to do to keep me busy. Glad you got a shield. I tried making one and well....I will have to try again. LOL

NatureFootstep said...

Interesting work. Don´t know this artist but I think it is fun trying new ways to express oneself. :)

Take care!

myra anderson said...

her work is fascinating! love your art! it's hard not to feel a little claustrophobic about being in the house lol! but one day we will be free!!!!!! your post and your flowers...delightful!!!!!!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Thank you for sharing the info on Joan Mitchell. Really Wonderful interpretation through your artwork and beautiful flowers!

-Soma

Lily Allen said...

nice art and love this flowers.
clipping path

Gameskp said...

frequency polygon

top games

Vex 4

tren maya 2021