It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived. Helen Walton

Friday, June 22, 2018

Games we play

We were gone, gone, gone in the Spring.
We love to travel and had lots of opportunity this year.
When we travel, I love to collect newspapers in the language of wherever we are visiting.
This year I came home with Arabic, Portuguese and Spanish.
I either paint these for collage or use them plain in my collages.
(If anyone has a suggestion for keeping papers for collage neatly, I am open to suggestions)
This past month we were in New Mexico for my grandson's high school graduation
I LOVE New Mexico, the diversity of the people, the wonderful scenery, the gorgeous native jewelry and the food!  We were only there 5 days but I inhaled it all.
I am back in an art class at our local Art Center.
We are working large this time.  The canvas below is 24" x 40"
I incorporated some bits of newspaper 
"Noticias"


Our instructor has shared lots of tips for helping with the dreaded white sheet.
Last week we put 11 dots on our paper and connected them until we were satisfied and then
colored them in with crayons.  The assignment was to take them home and put them on watercolor paper.  I didn't have any  and didn't want to go to the store so I used an old failed painting.  As it turned out, I was then able to scratch through and access the old colors from the original piece.  
I am glad I made that decision.  Here are the results.

charcoal and crayon

Acrylic
So we are back to the HEAT and HUMIDITY of Florida but we have lots of great memories we can call up when we are hiding in the air conditioning.  Just thankful we have AC!
Wishing all a Happy PPF

14 comments:

Christine said...

Wonderful creativity this week!

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Susan, glad you enjoyed your vacation, welcome back! Love your art today. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

Linda Kunsman said...

How wonderful to be able to do such travelling! Love your collage art and the second project is pretty cool looking too. Happy PPF!

Latane Barton said...

That acryllic is so ... so.... well, no word describes it. Just so colorful and fun.

Katie Jeanne said...

Welcome back! Fabulous art this week!

Sarah Leonard said...

I love the acrylic version of the chalk one - so vibrant and the vintage background is really textured and lovely. Happy PPF from Number 20 :D

denthe said...

I love that first canvas! It reminds me a bit of the collages of Jane Davies. Lovely work!

Clare Lloyd said...

Super art

Laney said...

Very interesting creative exercises - your art pieces are just lovely!! I used to keep a plastic file box on the floor between my chair and the wall and had my collage papers in there. But in the heat of a creative session it still became a mess! lol I also have some in a zip up accordion file. It's so full its HEAVY! Need to throw a bunch out I guess!

A Colorful World said...

Love that first one! How wonderful to have the newspapers from other countries to use!

Gillena Cox said...

Luv the last piece best

much love...

Susan said...

Thank you! I hadn't thought of a zip bag.

LA Paylor said...

We moved to CO and the weather goes from 50 to 100 in a day!
I too love the first art work, to the point of imagining making one like it on fabric, not that I'm a copier lol. I'll imagine it but not do it but I like the top, where the words overlap the open circles.

Susan said...

Thank you! I would love to see your results. This is a large piece, 24"x40". There is no such thing as an "original" idea. They are all our interpretations of something we have seen.