It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived. Helen Walton

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Rework, revisited


Last week I shared a painting I had reworked until that little voice said "It is done."
This week I tackled another one.
This one never worked for me  so decided to give it a coat of gesso and start over.
The flower was still raised in the original gesso so I figured I was stuck with it.


I cannot tell you how many layers of paint are on this.  There are a LOT.
It got busier before I quieted it down.


I think I will call this done.  The thing I love about this is the center of the flower is
made from a paint "skin" pulled off of my plastic work surface.
I like this better.  What do you think?

I also played around with collage this week.  I am experimenting and still not comfortable
with the process but I did like this one.


And the best news of all is my very favorite orchid is blooming on the lanai.
It is cattleya, Chocolate Drop and is not only gorgeous but has a wonderful mild scent.


Some more good news, I entered two of my paintings in the local art center show
and both got selected.  One of them had not been chosen in a previous show but decided
to see if this judge might like it and they did!



The moral here is never take one person's opinion
as the absolute.

Another side note, the one on the right was
ANOTHER REWORK!


Wishing all a Happy PPF

23 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Susan what inspiring pieces you have created. Your reworking inspires me to the same...I have a boatload of paintings needing redone. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful art, that first remake is stunning! Congrats on having your pictures accepted for the show - never give up is the right spirit. Love the orchid, too. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

Linda Kunsman said...

Love seeing your reworks and the variety of projects Susan. Congrats on having your paintings selected for the local art show! Happy PPF!

John said...

Your re-worked painting is gorgeous. Love that flower. Your collage is super creative and congrats on the art show. I wouldn't have the nerve to enter any of my work into an art show, so really well done.

sirkkis said...

I really love the reworked flower painting and the collage.
Happy PPF 💕

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful work! How awesome you had two paintings selected for the art show!

BrownPaperBunny said...

Wow, I love these reworked pieces you've been doing! So great! Happy PPF!

SandeeNC said...

Congrats on the art show acceptance, that's awesome!

Clare Lloyd said...

Great projects

Anonymous said...

wonderful art!!! Happy PPF

Sue (this n that) said...

Great seeing your re-works Susan, there's always a little surprise waiting when we see how they turn out after that isn't there!
Love your creativity and, yes, one person's opinion isn't absolute - for sure. Cheers and lovely to catch up and to see your latest gorgeous orchid :D)

Christine said...

Your pieces are beautiful and so creative, congrats on being selected.

Anonymous said...

I love the reworked flower, stunning. Congrats on the art show.

Gloria j Zucaro said...

Wow! Congratulations! I love both your entries into the show. The rework you did this week was very successful, too. You have done a wonderful collage as well.

Robin said...

Awesome artwork and what a beautiful orchid. Congratulations on the art show that had to feel great. Have a wonderful week, rasz

peggy gatto said...

Congratulations!!!! I would choose your art too!!!

denthe said...

Wow, that's a completely different painting! Love what you did with it. And the collage looks intriguing .... Congrats on getting selected for the art show! It's well deserved!

Giggles said...

First congratulations on getting your gorgeous paintings selected!! You know the old story many people submit at least 20 times before they get published!! I always say it takes tenacity!! Wonderful work...love the ones submitted...don't know how they passed it up the first time!!

Peace Giggles

Mona Pendleton said...

Congrats! That's wonderful news! Fabulous artwork! So fun and colorful! Happy PPF!

DVArtist said...

Congratulations on the art. Your art has a gentle, inviting feel to it. I love it all.

Lisabella Russo said...

Congratulations on the art show! They are both lovely. I like your current reworked painting as well. I have reworked a few of my pieces, sometimes I can see what they need after a while of having them around...

Jean said...

Congrats! How exciting! Love your work!

JKW said...

I love them all. yep, you know you best. Blessings, Janet