It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived. Helen Walton

Friday, March 16, 2018

Artful play


The class I have been taking at our Art Center has been very intense and it has created in me a new critical eye (that I really don't needl, I am critical enough).  So other than assignments, I have really done nothing that pleased me.  I found this idea in a grammar school art book.  I used a failed
painting as the backdrop and decided that inspite of myself, this was a 'happy little ditty'.


This is the sort of thing we are doing as homework after a class in light study on color.
I have pages and pages of notes from this class and am completely worn out when I get home from too much thinking.

This is some fun on yupo.  Am not sure where this will go next.  I like the colors  in the background.
I forgot to put matt medium on so the color leaked into the white paint I was using.


Somewhere on You Tube I saw something about using scrunched up aluminum foil so I decided to try it.  It is VERY fragile after it is scrunched up a lot.  This was done on a collage background.


On a simple abstract design, I think the printing underneath adds interest.
So that's it for this week.  Can't wait to see what you have been up to.

Wishing everyone a Happy PPF

16 comments:

Christine said...

Nice work this week, Including abstract work, never tried that.

sirkkis said...

You've practiced a lot, and I like what you painted.
Happy PPF xx

DVArtist said...

Wow I love this abstract art. I agree the print adds a lot of depth.

SLScheibe said...

Oh I love the abstract art! The colours are so wonderful together and that's always half the battle I find. Love the circle art too - so bright and cheery :)

Faye said...

I love the variety of art you have this week, Susan. The whirly thing at the top is beautiful. Just love all the bright colors. The yupo design is gorgeous. I think the mistake works in your favor. Maybe try leaving off the matt medium on purpose next time to see where the next painting goes. Don't stress out too much about the class. Take the good and leave the hard. I find classes sort of make me anxious, like I'm being graded on how well I am understanding what the teacher is showing us.

Valerie-Jael said...

You have made some beautiful art this week, love the earthy colours. The circles are fantastic. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

Linda Kunsman said...

a wonderful variety of projects Susan! Sometimes lessons can get too much into our heads and can get overwhelming, which means "time to shut it down awhile and just play". And you did a great job of doing just that:) Happy PPF!

Studio Kaufmann said...

Love all your projects Susan. You are so talented
Happy PPF

Laila said...

Oh I love seeing all you've done, it's such a good place to be experimenting with lots of different stuff.

SandeeNC said...

The mental work would exhaust me, but I do love your results!

A Colorful World said...

Very interesting pieces! I love these exercises...sometimes what wasn't intended like bleeding white paint, make it even cooler.

denthe said...

I just love your piece on yupo! I think the fact that the background seeped through the white paint gives it a really nice touch. You sound a bit disillusioned with your class. That's a pity. Art making should be fun. A bit of frustration every now and then is good, but when it drains all energy I'd think that maybe the class wasn't for me...

Clare Lloyd said...

Gorgeous art

Giggles said...

Lots of Beautiful artwork. Love the depth and dimension of the last one! Not sure it's a good thing if you feel that depleted after the class. Shouldn't you be energized and inspired? Hope it all works out!

Peace Giggles

Cindy D. said...

Your happy little ditty is really nicely done! But I do love that abstract final piece best. Those colors are killer!

Beth Niquette said...

These are so happy and bright. I loved them.