It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived. Helen Walton

Friday, September 7, 2018

Sweet Memories in Collage


In anticipation of a new class in collage at our art center, I have been cutting and pasting
this past couple of weeks.
A trip to a Goodwill Store turned up a new background for me.  They had a basket full of old
Simplicity and Butterick patterns.  The tissue patterns were brown with age and I decided they 
would be perfect for a background.  What I didn't anticipate was the flood of memories that came back to me as I opened the pattern.
My mother made everything I wore until my junior year in high school.  She made dresses, coats, slacks, suits and prom dresses.  She even made my attendant's dresses for my wedding.
We would head off to the fabric store, pick a pattern and then choose the fabric.
It was our idea of fun.  I loved picking the fabric and she loved making the outfit.  As I got older,
I came up with variations on the pattern which she could always accommodate,  no problem.
When my daughter came along, she was ecstatic.  She was back sewing again.
What a gift she had!  And I just took it for granted.  Do I sew?  NO!  I never had the patience for it.
But I have some amazing, sweet memories of my dear personal seamstress.


"Swatches"


"Decisions, decisions"

Wishing all a Happy PPF

14 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad those old patterns brought back so many happy memories, how lovely to have such a wonderful seamstress as a mom. Happy PPF, have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

A wonderful way to use those swatches Susan and happy memories brought in the process. My Mother is a whizz with wool and can make anything with it. A blessing for hand knitted jumpers and a god send when all three of my children came along as they were kept warm with their hand knitted wares from infant to adult. I too have not the patience for it like yourself with fabric..
Thank you for sharing & Happy PPF.
Creative Wishes Tracey

SLScheibe said...

Oh wonderful! Both of these bring back memories for me of paper dolls and dress up! The swatches all look wonderful together and the colours are warm and inviting. I really love that pantsuit in the second one. If I still had a figure, I'd wear it, LOL!

Christine said...

Wonderful that you can bring your memories to life in your art even if you don't sew. My mother sewed but I don't either, it takes a lot of patience.

Linda Kunsman said...

wonderful collage art! I love using patterned tissue in art. I used to sew-basic clothing and pillow covers, curtains. But I gave up preciseness for random sewing in art projects:) Happy PPF!

Crafting Queen said...

Really lovely piece fully of great memories.

sirkkis said...

What great memories and you show them beautifully in your art.
Happy PPF !

JFM said...

Not only beautiful and colorful but a collage, which I love, full of memories.

Happy PPF 🎨

John R said...

These are beautiful. I remember being the only boy in school who could sew. I enjoyed it, but it could be a bit embarrassing at times. Memories are good. Hold on to them.

Clare Lloyd said...

Super collage

denthe said...

What a sweet way to remember your mom. I like the combination of the brownish paper with the bright colours. Lovely work ♥

peppylady (Dora) said...

Interesting back ground
Coffee is on

DVArtist said...

You never know when a memory will show up. I really love the colors in your art piece.

Lisabella Russo said...

These are very lovely. My grandmothers also used to make some of my clothing, I loved them so much! Thank you for sparking these memories.